dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My husband passed away and because my social security is higher

Customer Question

My husband passed away and because my social security is higher l will receive nothing from his social security why
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You can receive only one benefits at the time. You cannot collect your benefits and his or survivor benefits at the same time. You usually get the highest for which you are eligible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We were getting both before he passed I should get something
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where are you
Before he passed away you got yours and he got his (or spousal). When he passed away you cannot get his without giving up yours. You cannot collect benefits for two people if only one is alive.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Perrene,I see that you asked for a different professional to assist you. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been an attorney more than 30 years and I handle social security issues. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.Doug