Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am working full time and am collecting my spousal SS through

Customer Question

I am working full time and am collecting my spousal SS through my wife who is retired. In October I reach my maximum SS payment birthday for age 70. I would then begin taking my fully earned SS max monthly payment. How does that affect my wife's payment? Does that eliminate my spousal SS payment? Is the amount paid affected if I continue to work full time after October? Thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
I am working full time and am collecting my spousal SS through my wife who is retired. In October I reach my maximum SS payment birthday for age 70. I would then begin taking my fully earned SS max monthly payment. How does that affect my wife's payment? Response 1: It does not. Does that eliminate my spousal SS payment? Response 2: Yes, because you cannot receive both. Is the amount paid affected if I continue to work full time after October? Thanks Response 3: No, because you have reached full retirement age, the annual earnings restriction does not apply to you. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.