Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife pasted away in January of 2014, I will be 60, in July

Customer Question

My wife pasted away in January of 2014, I will be 60, in July of this year, how do I go about getting her benefits ??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
Hi,...I can help here....As it sounds like you know, you can get survivors benefits as early as 60 years of age...Widows, widowers, and surviving divorced spouses cannot apply online for survivors benefits....Hang on a sec and I'll get the details for you...Lane......I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
You can apply for benefits by calling their national toll-free service at 1-***-***-**** or visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply....They may ask you to provide documents to show that you are eligible, such as:Proof of the worker's death;Birth certificate or other proof of birth;Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];U.S. military discharge paper(s) if you had military service before 1968;For disability benefits, the two forms (SSA-3368 and SSA-827) that describe your medical condition and authorize disclosure of information to us;W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year;Final divorce decree, if applying as a surviving divorced spouse; andMarriage certificate...
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know what questions you may have from here...If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986