lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Ok I think I forgot to mention that my wife does get social

Customer Question

Ok I think I forgot to mention that my wife does get social security disability due to medical issues in which she lost her job, and after collecting the disability income we found out that she now has leukemia . We are planning to move out to Nevada and our main concerns are will social security disability help cover her cancer medication since through my medical insurance she has qualified for the insurance that pays this amount for her.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Hi Scott,As your wife is already considered disabled by the SSA - her social security disability benefits will NOT changed unless there are some missing earning on the SSA report.Social security disability benefits are based ONLY on the working record - and there is no increase based on medical condition or nay other reasons.However if you are looking for need based benefits - there are some options.For instance - Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):--It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and--It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter.This link will take you to the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool. By taking 5 to 10 minutes to answer a few questions, you can find out if you are eligible for SSI or other benefits..Does that answer your question?Please review your original question appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.