Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

Can i get sec from husband that died in2013 i am still wo

Customer Question

can i get sec from husband that died in2013 i am still working
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...Yes, you generally can....If you are the widow or widower of a person who worked long enough under Social Security, you can:receive full benefits at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60....From Social Security:..A widow, widower or surviving divorced spouse cannot apply online for survivors benefits. If you wish to apply for disability benefits as a survivor, contact Social Security at1-***-***-**** to request an appointment. (If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number,1-***-***-****.)
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive....These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;Widow or widower, age 60 -- full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here. Otherwise I'm working for no crediting at all....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
…Hi,...I’m just checking back in to see how things are going....Did my answer help?...Let me know…...ThanksLane…