lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

If I was married yrs and he owes me child support for

Customer Question

If I was married for 14 yrs and he owes me child support for our 4 children can I claim from his SS?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
If you are collecting child support debt - yes - social security benefits may be garnished.If yo are looking to collect your spousal social security benefits based on your ex-spouse working record - yes - that is also possible.Let me know if you need any clarification.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is child support owed to me for 40 yrs, can I still pursue this?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
See herehttps://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3731/Can-my-Social-Security-benefits-be-garnished-for-alimony-child-support-or-restitutionCan my Social Security benefits be garnished for alimony, child support or restitution?We can withhold Social Security benefits to enforce your legal obligation to pay child support, alimony or restitution. State laws determine a valid garnishment order. By law, we garnish current and continuing monthly benefits. We do not make retroactive adjustments. You cannot appeal to Social Security for implementing garnishment orders. If you disagree with the garnishment, contact an attorney or representative where the court issued the order..What you need to do to start garnishments?Contact the court that originally ordered the child support and request filing a motion for contempt.Explain your situation and provide the estimated amount of arrears.The court will set up a formal court hearing and will issue a judgment for garnishment.File the judgment for garnishment with the SSA. Address -General Counsel, Social Security Administration Room 611, Altmeyer Building*****Baltimore, MD 21235However in most situation the court files for you and you do not need to send anything.You may have an attorney representing you.Does that answer your question?