LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Will a widow receive all of her husbands ss payment or just

Customer Question

will a widow receive all of her husbands ss payment or just a portion of it? She is currently receiving the spousal benefit.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: this about my mother in law's account her husband just recently passed and she is wondering how much her checks will be.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: no just give her an idea if she will receive his checks in lieu of hers.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Under social security laws, a person may only collect one benefit at a time. It is not possible, for example, for a widow to collect both her retirement benefit and a survivor benefit at the same time. If the wife's husband dies, then she is entitled to a survivor benefit that is equal to 100% of the amount of benefit that her husband was receiving at the time of his passing. If that survivor amount is greater than the retirement benefit that the widow is receiving, then the widow will want to apply for the survivor benefit and take advantage of the greater monthly benefit. But she will not get both the survivor benefit and her own spousal benefit/retirement benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug