emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

How much a year does someone have to make not to have to pay

Customer Question

How much a year does someone have to make not to have to pay into social security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. There's no limit for not having to pay into social security. But there's income over which your income is not subject to social security any more. The number changes every year, in 2015 + 2016 it is $118,500. It means only your first 118.500 of earned income (job or self-employment) is subject to social security withholding. Income over this limit is not. And the rule doesn't apply to Medicare withholding.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.