TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My granddaughter has been living with my wife and I since she

Customer Question

My granddaughter has been living with my wife and I since she was born and we have been
providing her total support since birth.
Some one at the S.S. office told us that she would be eligible for benefits if we adopted her.
Another person said they thought that that program had been terminated.
I need to know if this is correct or not. Her biological father died 3-4 years ago.
Is my granddaughter eligible for benefits if we adopt her or not.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.
HelloIf a child is not receiving benefits from a parent when the grandparent retires, becomes disabled, or dies, the grandchild may then be able to qualify for benefits if certain conditions are met. Generally, the biological parents of the child must be deceased or disabled or the grandchild must be legally adopted by the grandparent.In addition, the grandchild must have begun living with the grandparent before age 18 and received at least one half of his or her support from the grandparent for the year before the month the grandparent became entitled to retirement or disability insurance benefits, or died. Also, the natural parent(s) of the child must not be making regular contributions to his or her support.This was still current in 2016 Feb.To Link to this section - Use this URL: