LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am a veteran and if i present my dd214 to social security

Customer Question

i am a veteran and if i present my dd214 to social security will it increase my benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good morning,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country! You are referring to the military veteran extra earnings that social security adds to some veteran's earnings. Let me explain. While there is a special, extra earnings amount which is added to the annual earnings of service members who since 1957 have had military service earnings for active duty, it is not a direct benefit to the retiree, but rather adds additional income to the quarterly earnings registered with social security, which indirectly increases the ultimate social security retirement benefit received by the veteran.The income added to the earnings during the active duty year’s amounts to $300 per quarter for time served on active duty. This results in a very small increase in the full retirement benefit of the retired veteran. There is no special benefit for veterans of the Viet Nam war that served overseas. The special, extra earnings amount applies to all service members who served from 1957 through 2001.And under the rules of social security, for military serviceFrom 1957 through 1967, they will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service. Only if you served between 1957 and 1967 will you need to remind social security that you are a veteran. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug