dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

This year, my partner is turning 59, and I will be 53. She

Customer Question

This year, my partner is turning 59, and I will be 53. She wants to start collecting SS at 62, and i plan to continue working, earning > 100K/year. Will we be worse off financially if we get married?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...Generally, you will be better ... you each have a respective (your own) work record from Social Security....So not that the file and suspend strategy is gone (your spouse will be ineligible to claim spousal benefits while your benefit is in suspense., and vice-versa) ... the main factor is delaying or not....Being married won't change that ... and from a TAX perspective you'll most likely be BETTER off (lower tax rate - higher brackets on same level of income, larger standard deduction for married filing jointly, two exemptions)...The only thing I can see (and the net net benefit still may not be enough to offset the lower taxes generally) is that your household income will likely make more of her social security be taxable IF that would be her ONLY income if filing as single