Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am drawing social security, my wife passed and I want to

Customer Question

I am drawing social security, my wife passed and I want to know how I can drawing off of hers, my wife received more income than I do ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
I am very sorry for your loss. You can file for a survivor benefit based on her SS work record. If that benefit exceeds your own, you can choose to switch to it! We only get ONE benefit, so you will only want the greater of the two. If you have already reached your full retirement age, and survivor is bigger than your own, it is almost always appropriate to switch to your survivor benefit and suspend your own. If you are under 70, once you hit age 70 and have not taken your own benefit in a few years due to taking survivor, I'd check to see if my own benefit has grown to be bigger than the survivor benefit. If it has, you can always switch back to it at age 70.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 10 months ago.
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end for my little office - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do eitherof the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional