dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

My wife is 51 and was just granted SSD benefits of approximately

Customer Question

My wife is 51 and was just granted SSD benefits of approximately $1500/mo with effective onset being 12/01/08. I am older and will retire soon with a SS benefit of approximately $2300.
My question is this: When I die will she get both her SSD benefit AND spousal benefits? I know that there is a 7 year waiting period and that if she is younger than 62 she will only be entitled to 71% of my benefit. But again, will she receive BOTH her disability and my retirement benefit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. She can only collect one benefits at the time, her own or spousal but not both. She can apply for her spousal as soon as 62 and be eligible for about 30% of yours (not 71%). After your death she may be entitled to widows benefit that could be between 70 - 100% of yours, depending on when she apply for her own/spousal/widow benefits. At her full retirement age she will automatically be switched to her own or spousal (whichever are higher) unless she apply sooner.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You did not read my question correctly, I said 71% if she is younger than 62. Also, are you in the US? You use improper English (one benefits at a time) and (unless she apply sooner).
I don't know where are you getting 71%. She can collect widower benefits as soon as 50, as long as she is disabled or becomes disabled within 7 years of your death. There's no 7 years waiting period. And yes, I am in US.