Angie
Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
69500136

I RECIEVED A LETTER FROM YOU NOVEMBER 25TH, 2015. THE LETTER

Customer Question

I RECIEVED A LETTER FROM YOU NOVEMBER 25TH, 2015. THE LETTER SAID TO TELL YOU I HAVE A MORE RECENT INCOME THAT COULD AFFECT MY MEDICARE PREMIUMS. THEY SAID TO CONTACT YOU IF MY MAGI HAS GONE DOWN ONE RANGE IN THE TABLE OR HAS GONE BELOW THE LOWEST AMOUNTS SINCE I FILED MY 2013 TAX RETURN, AND IF THE DECREASE IN MAGI WAS CAUSED BY LIFE CHANGING EVENTS. I AM NOW A WIDOW AS OF OCT. 4TH,2012. IS THERE SOMETHING I HAVE TO DO?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Angie replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm Angie, an expert here at Just Answer. First, I want to let you know that you are not contacting Social Security. You have submitted a question to Just Answer which is a community full of experts who are available to answer your Social Security and Tax questions. I'm very sorry to hear that your spouse passed. I hope that you have adjusted to the loss well. Assuming that your MAGI did decrease after the passing of your spouse, you should let the Social Security Administration know. The letter they sent you should provide instructions for reporting this type of change. The SSA sends out these letters yearly to people who have had a change in income that could affect their medicare premiums. I am attaching a form that you will need to fill out and submit to the address on the letter from Social Security that you received. This will allow them to make the necessary adjustments to your medicare premium.