Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I was receiving close to 1300 security disability

Customer Question

i was receiving close to 1300 for social security disability and i received a letter saying that are taking 500 something dollars from my ssdi because there was a court order concerning child support,i also receive 90 percent disability from the va bc i am a disabled vet which the dd office told me i have to pay my child support from, which i have been ever paying every month bc the va will not garnish the vets disability to the ss office,month, but i talked to a lady at the ss security office and she said they cannot do this bc it's double dipping per say, also i recently applied for ssdi fpr ,y 3 kids of my ssdi...confused???
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: why are they taking over 500 dolars of my ssdi when i already pay child support?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
was receiving close to 1300 for social security disability and i received a letter saying that are taking 500 something dollars from my ssdi because there was a court order concerning child support,i also receive 90 percent disability from the va bc i am a disabled vet which the ss office told me i have to pay my child support from, which i have been ever paying every month bc the va will not garnish the vets disability to the ss office,month, but i talked to a lady at the ss security office and she said they cannot do this bc it's double dipping per say, also i recently applied for ssdi for my 3 kids of my ssdi...confused???
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: why are they taking over 500 dolars of my ssdi when i already pay child support?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got ot
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it
OK, with regard to your post: "i was receiving close to 1300 for social security disability and i received a letter saying that are taking 500 something dollars from my ssdi because there was a court order concerning child support,-------- OK, did you attend the court date wherein a request to garnish SSDI was made? If not, it can happen, yes, often when a person is 'in arrears' and not already paying reliably."i also receive 90 percent disability from the va bc i am a disabled vet which the dd office told me i have to pay my child support from, --------- what "office". If you have a court order for child support, you legally must pay it from whatever source you have available to you. The only difference with VA is that they can't garnish that particular source, generally (unlike SS benefits). But all other rules apply, including being held in contempt for not paying from ANY available source, when ordered to pay. Contempt can also be jail time. So while they won't take it from your VA source, if you (and I mean you generally, not you-you) choose not to pay when you have the money somewhere, contempt it likely will be."which i have been ever paying every month bc the va will not garnish the vets disability to the ss office,month, ------- that is good, you have income, you pay the CS like parents do.... "but i talked to a lady at the ss security office and she said they cannot do this --------- Can't do what? Who can't do what? You mean she is saying family court can't seek to garnish SS to pay CS?bc it's double dipping per say, -------- No, but if they are going to garnish SS and get the money that way, there will typically be no need to choose to pay on your own..... So consider looking more closely at that option. "also i recently applied for ssdi fpr ,y 3 kids of my ssdi...confused??? --------- Great! Yes, you absolutely should apply for CS for kids! AND, then motion your family court to recalculate your CS obligation to include the fact that the kids are getting XXX dollars on the basis from your disabiity (child benefits)..... this can OFTEN reduce your remaining obligation to zero. Also, when was the last time you had CS figured? Was it BEFORE you were legally disabled? Was it based on income figures that were HIGHER than what you now have? If so, you will likely want it to be recalculated. But, if your income is now quite high (since you get VA and SSDIB), relative to when your CS obligation was determined, then the base amount could go up - BUT, you'd still likely get credit for what the kids are getting, which is probably at least 50% of what you get. Again, that amount can often cover the entire CS obligation, or greatly reduce it.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
good help!
Thank you! Please don't forget to rate with the 5 stars, so the company hears your opinion and gives me credit.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up! Hello again. It is month end for my little office - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do eitherof the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being. If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here! Sincerely,Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional