LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I'm 71 and receive Social Security benefits monthly. My

Customer Question

I'm 71 and receive Social Security benefits monthly. My young wife just gave birth to baby girl on April 23, 2016. When I receive her Birth Certificate, will she receive her pay retroactive back to April 23rd? Will she receive 50% of my monthly? Furthermore, my wife is 28, can she also receive benefits as mother taking care of my young child? How much?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon Geno,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! While your daughter will be entitled to an amount equal to 50% of your full retirement age benefit, retroactive to the month following her birth (May), I'm afraid that your wife will not be eligible for any caretaker benefit. The caretaker benefit is only provided to a caretaker of a child in the event that one of the parents of the minor child dies. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug