lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My year old husband has been on Social Security

Customer Question

My 69 year old husband has been on Social Security for several years, but I (age 65) have never claimed any benefits. I was planning on starting in Oct. 2016 when I turn 66. I am still employed full time.
Should I apply for spousal benefits today (April 30,2016)? Could I still work full time?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
You may apply for social security benefits before your full retirement age.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
As you are below your full retirement age - that is 66 - you may not file a restricted application and received spousal benefits only.You will receive your own benefits first and if spousal benefits are lager - you will be paid additional.You may receive benefit s and work at the same time - that is not an issue.In the year you reach full retirement age, the SSA will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.If you will reach full retirement age in 2016, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $41,880.Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, the SSA will not reduce your benefits no matter how much you earn..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.