emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am receiving ss on my deceased x husband can I continue to

Customer Question

I am receiving ss on my deceased x husband can I continue to receive his if I file an suspend mine till 70 an if health fails some or something else happens will it be retroactive to the date I filed for mine
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. It depends on your age. You need to be at least 66 to file and suspend your benefits. Unfortunately, retroactive lump sum payments will not be available after May 1. That's one of the benefits that are being eliminated.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 67 will be 68 in Dec is there a application I can get on line an apply before May 1
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 67 will be 68 in Dec is there a application on line i can get an file before May 1
If you were 62 at the end of 2015 which you were, your options had been grandfathered. It means that your options will not be affected by the new changes. You do not need to file by May 1, but I would suggest to file soon. Here is online application: https://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/The longer you wait the less time your own benefits will grow.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am I able to continue to draw what I am receiving now till I take my own
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I mean is keep drawing his even under the file an suspend
You do not want to file and suspend, you want restricted benefits - apply for spousal and let your own grow. Your benefits will not change. But you may be able to boost your own little bit if you file restricted benefits. It is not going to be a lot, maybe 3 - 4% since you are running out of time. You can only restrict your benefits until 70.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I file restricted does that do the same as file an suspend and be retroactive to date signed up
You cannot file and suspend and collect spousal benefits. File and suspend means you file but postpone collecting your benefits until letter usually until 70. When you file and suspend you are not receiving any benefits. Restricted means you collect your spousal and let your own grow. Unfortunately the option is not retroactive. Here's what you want: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/restricted-application-for-social-security-spousal-benefits.aspx
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So if I just let mine sit there as it has been it the same as if I file an restricted ?
Not exactly. If you are collecting spousal benefits without filing for restricted benefits your own benefits don't grown. In two years you will receive the same you were entitled to when you applied for benefits. If you file restricted benefits, you will collect your spousal but your own benefits will grow every year.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.