How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andy4712 Your Own Question
Andy4712, Tax Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 539
Experience:  Attorney working in social security.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Andy4712 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am confused about Pub 915 worksheets 2 and 4 line 20 of form

Customer Question

I am confused about Pub 915 worksheets 2 and 4 for LSE line 20 of form 1040, for SSDI disability benefit for 2012-2014 that was paid in 2015. In 2014 worksheet 2 I have a negative answer but form does not say the usual (if negative, enter 0). Can you offer professional answer?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
can you point to the specific page in publication 915 and the worksheet you are filing and line number?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sure. Pub 915 page 17 line 20. Only one of the 3 years of backpay (2012, 2013, 2104) did I have a YES on liine 10 and therefore had to enter answer on line 20 on this page.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Can you provide line numbers and amounts you entered into this worksheet?I will verify your filing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will scan and send if it is kept confidential?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Just remove all personal information - leave only numbers - all posts are available for general public.You may attach to this page -
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
jeesh, the justanswers must have that in the fine priint??any way, loading now.....took me awhile, hope the resolution is ok, and all my notes!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still trying to Add files...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still trying to Add files...please confirm you received this and files
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Please let me some time to verify.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure, I just worried I had "lost you".......thanks.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mark and welcome to our site!As that was your JOINT tax return - the refund was jointly owned - and that is between you and your spouse how that refund is divided.There is no special legal responsibilities to divide that refund equally or in any other way - that is a civil matter between you and your spouse.As the money were taken to pay YOUR debt for which your spouse is not responsible - she is an injured spouse and may file a special form to request her share of that refund.But if you could negotiate how the money are divided - that might be most simple and practical resolution.Questions?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lev, the answer you gave to me here is to the wrong question, you must have accounts/questions mixed up. I suppose I need to get another expert, but will give you this morning to resolve this before rating.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hmmmmmmmm, no answer still.
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 5 months ago.
Typically if you have a negative number when you come down to the taxable amount it is not taxable: you follow the instructions:
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 5 months ago.
It looks like you followed the instructions on the forms correctly.
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 5 months ago.
You might want to try using a tax software program. It will calculate it out. It is much easier than going through all the worksheets like you did. You could also take your forms in to VITA. They can help you go through it.
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 5 months ago.
You could try entering your info here:

Related Social Security Questions