lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am 84 yrs old. Took social security benefits at 64+ hardships.do

Customer Question

I am 84 yrs old. Took social security benefits at 64+ hardships.do I qualify for extra benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
You may not just increase your benefits because you need more money...There are rumors - that if you know some magic words - and the that to SSA agents - they will provide additional benefits...I bet SSA employees are laughing on that -but they are not happy as lots of people keep calling and asking to increase their social security benefits....I just want to ensure you that there is no magic words or secret information or anything like that...HOWEVER ...
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.Also additional years of earning might increase your benefits.If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration and verify if all information is correct.Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations.https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf.Let me know if you need any clarification this matter..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.