TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

My 20 year old son receives ssdi and is permentlly disabled.

Customer Question

My 20 year old son receives ssdi and is permentlly disabled. However he cannot recieve ssi because he has never worked or paid in to social security. Can He work and pay in to start receiving the ssi? And if so how much would have to pay in to get it started and how would this effect his ssdi?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 5 months ago.
HelloIf your son worked he would start to earn SSA credits. He would need 40 credits to receive SS on his work record. When you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn up to a maximum of four "credits" for each year. He would need to work for 10 years before he had enough credits. In the year 2016, you must earn $1,260 in covered earnings to get one Social Security or Medicare work credit and $5,040 to get the maximum four credits for the year. If you’re disabled and work despite your disability, you may continue to receive payments until your earnings, added with any other income, exceed the SSI income limits. He would not receive anything from this immediately.