lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am the father of One child whose Mother passed away 2 years

Customer Question

I am the father of One child whose Mother passed away 2 years ago. We had been divorced and I have been raising the child. I have struggled financially due to a job layoff and am having a hard time meeting expenses and keeping him in college even with student loans.
A friend had mentioned he knew someone in the same situation who was able to get his deceased wife's past social security benefits paid to him to help raise the child.
Do you know anything about this or how to go about getting these benefits?
Thank you so much
Edward Pierce (###) ###-#### ***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Hi Edward and welcome to our site!You are correct that the child might be eligible for survival social security benefitsHere is a publication can get survivors benefits?Your unmarried children, who are younger than age 18 (or up to age 19 if they’re attending elementary or secondary school full time), can also get benefits. Your children can get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled..You can apply for benefits by calling our national toll-free service at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) or by visiting your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.Questions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My Son is 22 and not disabled. Could he still get benefits at that age? My friends contact got a lump sum check that was around $20K. He will be in college two more years.
Thank you
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
There might be some other benefits - but not from social security.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Specifically to pay educational expenses - you might want to contact the financial aid department in his school.As he will be attending school - all starts with FAFSA application - and based on that application - additional scholarships or grants might be available..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.