Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

My spouse died age 65 and 8 months in 2013. His full retirement

Customer Question

My spouse died age 65 and 8 months in 2013. His full retirement social security benefit is about $1200. I am receiving a retirement pension from his
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: should I file for widow's social security benefit? I plan to work and earn 40K a year. I am age 61 and 3 months. My deceased spouse social security benefit is 1200. I also receive a pension from his work.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: My current social security benefit would only be $340 month since I was home raising children. how much can my benefit increase until age 70? I have not filed for benefits yet. Can file and suspend work for filing widow's benefit if I plan to increase my benefit by working until age 70?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Retirement Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Hi,...The new rules are not applicable to a surviving spouse....April 30th is the first day of the new rules for Voluntary Suspensions, aka “File and Suspend” FOR MARRIED LIVING COUPLES; the 29th is the final day to request a suspension under the old rules....There is one primary difference between the old and the new rules: if you suspend under the new rules, your spouse will be ineligible to claim spousal benefits while your benefit is in suspense. If you suspend under the old rules, (reached 66 by April 29th) while your benefit is in suspense, spouses and other auxiliaries can still collect benefits based on your work record....But for you NOTHING has changed....You can still independently choose timing of when to start survivor and individual retirement benefits....
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.
Did you see my answer?