Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband is doing the nine month work trial period. What

Customer Question

My husband is doing the nine month work trial period. What happens if he keeps working
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,... At the end of nine months of work, your trial work period is over, and the SSA will decide if you have been doing a "SUBSTANTIALLY GAINFUL ACTIVITY," (SGA)....(SGA is generally earning $1,130 or more per month.)...If your average earnings are over the SGA amount, your SSDI benefits will end....You are entitled to nine trial work months during your trial work period, and a month doesn't count toward your nine months if you make less than $810 (gross) or if you work less than 80 hours per month in self-employment (irrespective of the amount earned). ...Also, the nine trial work months doesn't have to be consecutive, so he can have gaps between the trial work months that count toward that nine-month limit. ...However, once he's used nine trial work months during any five-year period, he's exhausted his trial work period and isn't entitled to another trial work period....(UNLESS, of course, the SSDI benefits end due to working, and you subsequently become entitled to benefits again by submitting a new application for SSDI benefits or through expedited reinstatement). ...Finally, if someone uses fewer than nine trial work months during any five-year period, they may be able to get another set of nine trial work months....Trial work months more than five years old are no longer counted, so the entitlement to nine months of trial work may start over, and you may be end up getting more than nine trial work months. ...Sorry for the data-dump, but I wanted to cover all the bases....Lane....I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986