Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

How do we apply increase in our social security payments?

Customer Question

How do we apply for an increase in our social security payments? My husband and I were both born in 1939 and are eligible for an increase since both of us have continuously worked since age 18
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
The new law does not entitle you to additional benefits. If you are already collecting benefits, the new law that goes into effect in April 30, 2016 does not affect you. The new law will not take away your benefits or any benefits that you are entitled to. The new law on the other hand will not give you additional benefits. The new law essentially deals with two strategies some retirees were using to maximize their benefits namely: file and suspend and restricted spousal application. File and suspend deals with when both husband and wife have reached their full retirement age. One would file and suspend his benefits so that the other would apply for spousal benefits only. Then the other spouse would apply for benefits when he reaches age 70. This would maximize their benefits. Under the new law, this loophole has been closed. So, when a spouse files and suspends, all benefits would be suspended preventing his spouse from applying under his earnings. The other one is restricted spousal application where one spouse who has reached full retirement age can elect just to apply for spousal benefits only and then apply for her own benefits later. This would no longer be allowed for any one that has not turned age 62 by the end of December 2015. For more information, click on the links below: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.