Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I turned 66 March 22. I filed Security. So I suppose

Customer Question

I turned 66 March 22. I filed for Social Security. So I suppose I am FRA and able to work and keep my earnings. It says so. I read more and it says I have a $41,000 ceiling and give back 1$ in $3 dollars I earn. Which is it? Sounds like double talk to me
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The penalty you referred to over $41,000 is only for the year that you reach full retirement age. For example if you birthday where July 1, 2016. Your earnings while you were 65 in 2016 would be subject to the $1 penalty for every $3 over $41,000. Once you reached full retirement age (age 66) in July, you no longer are subject to the earned income penalty. That penalty is not subject to any earnings you made past age 66, only earnings in the same year you reached full retirement age when you were 65. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?