Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

Am I eligible ex-spouse beneifts We were married for

Customer Question

Am I eligible for my ex-spouse beneifts We were married for 13 years His SS # ************** **********8 My number is ******** Shelly *********
Thank you for your reply
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

The requirements to be eligible for ex spousal benefits are as follows: 1) be married at least 10 years 2) to be unmarried (or only remarried after age 60) 3) be at least age 62 4) the ex also has to have elected to their SS benefit. Also understand that the spousal benefit must be higher than your own retirement benefit to be eligible. You cannot receive both benefits as they do not stack and you will receive the higher of both benefits.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?