emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am 59 years old and would like to retire. Can I retire at

Customer Question

I am 59 years old and would like to retire. Can I retire at 59 and claim social security benefits on my husband until I reach age to collect on my own?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. No, you cannot. You need to be at least 62 to be eligible for social security benefits, including spousal. https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.