Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I will be 66 in 4 months wanting to claim benefit

Customer Question

I will be 66 in 4 months wanting to claim benefit for social security,(full retirement at that age. My wife is 63 as of Febuary this year wants to claim benefits now she is slated to receive $505.00 per month what do we need to do to get her 1/2 my monthly social security which of 2600.00
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. To be eligible for a spousal benefit you would have to be taking your benefit, so she will not be eligible for 4 more months. At that point she would be eligible to receive around 37% of your benefit (which is reduced from the normal 50% because she elected to receive early retirement). She would then receive the higher of her normal retirement benefit and the spousal benefit. These benefits do not stack so she does not get both. This would obviously be your benefit and as soon as you make your election then she can begin taking the spousal benefit based off of your benefit. See link for the spousal benefit from SSA: Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?