Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

My spouse is already retired and receiving Social Security

Customer Question

My spouse is already retired and receiving Social Security benefits based on his own earnings record of $439.80. He also receives a pension from employement that did not pay into social security in the gross amount of $1567.00/mo. I am eligible to retire early in one year and would be eligibe to receive $1758.00 in benefits at that time. If I wait until I am 66 and 2 months old (five years from now, I will be eligible to recieve $2378.00/per month based on my earnings record. Will my spouse be entitled to receive any additional social security benefits based on my earnings record when I retire either at 62 or 66 and 2 mos. Thanks so much for your help with this planning question.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Let me get you an answer.
Yes he is eligible but the Windfall elimination provision (WEP) will also decrease his spousal benefit in the same way that it decreased his normal benefits. A percentage of his pension will also reduce his spousal benefit and it will probably not help your situation like you want it to as his benefit will not likely be decreased because of this. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?