emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I will be 62 in 2018 and my wife (homemaker) will be 54. In

Customer Question

I will be 62 in 2018 and my wife (homemaker) will be 54. In 2018 we will still have 4 home schooled children ages 12,14,16, & 18. What would best maximize our SS?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 6 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.Since none of you is 62, you cannot apply for any benefits just yet. As you know government is eliminating spousal benefits and file and suspend option as of April 30, 2016. Currently, to maximize your benefits is to wait until your full retirement age or if you can until 70 to apply, when you get the maximum social security benefits. Hopefully between now and 2018 government comes up with something to replace spousal benefits or introduce some other options to boost your social security benefits.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?