Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I applied retirement benefits early and have been receiving

Customer Question

I applied for ss retirement benefits early and have been receiving them while I worked. I was recently, while working, diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer and applied for disability which I also was approved for. Evidently I cannot receive both at the same time so they stopped my social security. Will ss make up the missed payments when I am off disability and what happens with my medicare payments?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. No they will not. You cannot stack benefits and social security retirement gets put on hold during this time and is not paid back. You will need to reapply to receive your retirement benefits. You will not be qualified for Medicare until age 65 once off disability. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am already on Medicare
You qualify for Medicare because of SSDI, if you are over age 65 then you will just continue on it. Once your disability is gone and you are no longer on Medicare, you will have to reapply once you reach age 65.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i am 66 and FICA funds my retirement and medicare benefits. SDI funds my disability.
If you are age 66 then you should not have a problem and have to do nothing with your medicare as you qualify for it by age and disability after you have been disabled for two years. You just continue on Medicare. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?