emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor

I am a 62 year old female. I plan on leaving my full time

Customer Question

I am a 62 year old female. I plan on leaving my full time job next month.
I was married for 15 years. We divorced 10 years ago. My ex-husband is 67 and has remarried. I do not know if he has started social security benefits or not.
I do not want to start receiving my social security benefits until 67. Am I eligible to file for spousal benefits until I turn 67 and begin receiving my own social security benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. If you were 62 at the end of 2015, your options are considered grandfathered, it means they will not be affected by the new changes to social security. Check here the qualifications for benefits for divorce spouses:
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will be 62 this month. I do not want to file on my benefits until 66. I am investigating options that might be available for filing on my ex-husbands record. He is 67. We were married for 15 years and have been divorced for 10 years. Can I file for these benefits until I turn 66?
Here's the problem. If you were not 62 at the end of the 2015 you will have to apply for the benefits by the end of the month. Government is eliminating spousal benefits option for all applications filed after April 30, 2016. According to new changes, you have your last chance. But if you apply for spousal benefits at 62 your own benefits will also be permanently reduced.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That answers my question. thank you.
You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?
And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.