Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Am 62, thinking about semi retirement, SS and a part-time job,

Customer Question

Am 62, thinking about semi retirement, SS and a part-time job, how much can I make? Second Question: If that doesn't work can I get off SS and get back on later?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephanie
OK, as you know, deciding to collect at 62 means taking 48+ additional payments then if you wait to your full retirement age of 66+. As such, those 48 payments are paid for by reducing the amount of all payments for the rest of your life. With regard to your post: "Am 62, thinking about semi retirement, SS and a part-time job, how much can I make? ------ Up to $15720, no reduction to your already reduced benefits."Second Question: If that doesn't work can I get off SS and get back on later? ------- Yes. After your FRA, you can "suspend" your benefits if you want them to "regrow" by 8% per year, up to age of 70. Prior to FRA, if you earn over the limit, you will owe back money if you didn't accurately advise SSA in advance, so they could withhold your benefits due to expected surpassing of the limit. So they will either withhold all benefits in any given month or months, or part, depending.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is FRA?
Sorry! That is "full retirement age".
Please don't forget to rate with the 5 stars? It doesn't cost additional.