Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I was told by Social Security that first, as a single person,

Customer Question

I was told by Social Security that first, as a single person, I could not file & suspend; second (upon further questioning) that I could file & suspend but it would not benefit me; third, that I would get the 8% per year increase just by waiting to file until 67, 68. 69 or 70. What's the truth? I turn 66 in May 2016.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. As a single person, there is no reason to file and suspend. The reason to do this is for your spouse to collect a spousal benefit while you allow your normal retirement benefit to grow from ages 66-70 earning 8% credits per year. Since you have no spouse, you can simply delay electing to take your benefit at age 70 and earn the extra 32% to your benefit. That is the truth and you can always suspend your benefit even after this change. The new changes by HR 1314 simply do not let a spouse take a spousal benefit while your benefit is suspended. The "file and suspend" is thus a strategy that is eliminated but a simple suspension is still available. It just does the same if you wait to take your benefit at age 70.5. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
First off, this was not the attorney who pop up as being assigned my question originally. Second, this person is identified as a "Social Security Expert", not an attorney. His answer is easy to read, but I am leery of this title. I am paying, but I will not use this site again and I will tell all my friends and Facebook my opinion. False advertising or shill game, whatever.
I can guarantee you I am an attorney. I passed the bar in my state in 2001. Also understand that I am not an employee of the site, only a user of the site like yourself, only on the expert side. The site has already been paid for your answer, but I am not reimbursed for my time by the site until I get a positive rating by you. There was no false advertising and I am a real attorney. There is nothing to be leery of, I am a real person. I do not know who was first assigned your answer, but answers pop up on a list for us and all attorneys online can choose to answer and lock the question. That is simply what I did for your answer, there was no bait and switch, I just choose to answer your question. If you would like to answer any follow up questions, I can, and I would like you to be satisfied with the site. If you could please positively rate my answer, I would greatly appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.