TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

Can Wisconsin Child Support Agency require me to pay back

Customer Question

Can Wisconsin Child Support Agency require me to pay back the $100,000 interest owed because of the interest charged me on the Alamony and Support with my current Social Security Disability monthly check.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.
Hello SSI disability payments are made to people who have a very low income. These payments cannot be garnished for child support payments. SSDI payments, however, can be garnished to fulfill child support and alimony obligations.The national threshold is set at 65%, which means your disability payments can legally be reduced up to that threshold.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am totally perminently disabled by two strokes since Sept 2001 and this was certified by both SSI Doctor's and my employer Sinai Hospital Doctor"s.. I don't know difference between SSI and why you say I cannot have these monies garnished for child support and SSDI payments can be garnished for child and alimony and why you say one is and one isn't able to be garnished? Please help me.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.
I advised the difference in the 2 because you did not post which you receive. One is allowed to be garnish the other is not.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't want to call. Thought you now can provide approximate answer based on updated info I sent you. Thanks
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.
I did not offer you a call. If you are getting SSI then that is not garnished. If you are getting SSDI based on your own work record it can be garnished.You listed you have employer so I am thinking your are not getting SSI. That means yes, they can garnish your disability for this.