dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

How do I apply benefit that is going to expire at the

Customer Question

How do I apply for the benefit that is going to expire at the end of April?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
Hi,...Nothing has changed about how we file for social security....Last fall the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 changed the rules to eliminate two popular Social Security claiming strategies for married couples: File-and-Suspend, and Restricted Application....You can file for Retirement or Spousal Benefits online! You may also start your disability claim online. There is no need to wait for an appointment....You also can apply in person, or:...Call us at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to make an appointment; orContact your local Social Security office...
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
If you are one of those couples where this can apply (turn 66 by Apr 29th) or be an age of anywhere between 66 and 70 and want to make a change......You do not have to sign your request to suspend benefit payments. You may ask us orally or in writing.If your benefit payments are suspended, they will start automatically the month you reach age 70.