lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

RE:Social Security Act affecting seniors born before 1954-

Customer Question

RE:Social Security Act affecting seniors born before 1954- to be effective on May 1, 2016.
qUESTION: AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY fOR BENEFITS?
BORN 1/9/26, Worked-AS teenager pt. time- 7 yrs. Fulltime-1947-1993 Pd.Social Security-46yrs.PAID INCOME TAX AS A MARRIED -JOINT RETURN FOR 29 YRS.- RETIRED-June 30,1993. Names- Maiden name -Marilyn M. Gosinger (Gozenker)---Marilyn G. Leepond-
Married,3yrs,Divorced---Marilyn G. Meltzer-Married,25 yrs.,Divorced---Marilyn G. Fine,Married, 2 and 1/2 yrs., Annulled. All former husbands are deceased.
I elected to pay full separate Social Security and my husbands paid their Social Security. I never received any Social Security checks from my husbands account.
Am I entitled to any benefits from this new Social Security iMay 1st or any other type of benefits,veterans,etc. as a former wife of 25 years with Daniel B. Meltzer?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
You may receive either social security benefits based on your own earning record OR based on your former husband's earning record.That is according to the current law is is NOT changed.HOWEVER - you may not receive both benefits - but you may receive the larger benefits from these.What you need to do - contact the SSA and provide information about all your former husbands - and they will verify your eligibility and will award the larger benefits from which you are eligible.Questions?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I' m sorry, but I didn't hear a word you said.I ALREADY KNEW THAT MY EARNINGS WERE HIGHER THAN ANY OF MY HUSBANDS , SO I MADE APPLICATION YEARS AGO TO RECEIVE A SEPARATE S.S. CHECK . MY QUESTION WAS "AM I ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THE BENEFITS, I.E.., (2 extra Soc.Sec.checks at end of the year) BEING OFFERED NOW,I F ONE APPLIES BEFORE MAY 1ST.----- OR AM I ALREADY RECEIVING MAXIMUM BENSFITS AND WILL NOT LOSE MONEY BY NOT APPLYING.
You did not answer my question or did not understand what I was driving at. I DO NOT WISH TO BECOME A MEMBER.PLEASE WITHDRAW MY APPLICATION. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
If social security benefits are based on YOUR earning - which are higher that spousal surviving benefits - you will received the larger - your own benefits.You will not receive any additional checks - if that is your concern.You definitely may apply - there is nothing to prevent you from doing that.But that will have zero results - and you will not have any additional benefits - and that has nothing to do with changes in the social security law.