Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I will be 66 on May 8 and plan to take SS at 70. I was married

Customer Question

I will be 66 on May 8 and plan to take SS at 70. I was married more than 10 years and have not remarried. What do I need to do to get my ex husbands SS now. He is 64
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
You are grandfathered, in that once you hit your FRA, you can file a restricted application for divorced spousal benefit only. That means you are NOT filing for your own benefit, so that your own can grow that extra 32% til you are 70, at which point you can switch to your own greater amount. You can go to your local SSA office to apply for this. Be sure to bring your marriage cert. and your divorce decree, in addition to your BC and photo ID.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
I will add that they also made it possible to file this online, restricted. However, you still need to get those documents to them, and you do not want to send them in the mail. Ergo, we often think it is better to file in person.