Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986

I just found out about an extra 65,000.00 Dollars I might be

Customer Question

I just found out about an extra 65,000.00 Dollars I might be qualified for SS I under stand that this option expires at the end of the month, What do I have to do sign up for this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Hi,...Last fall, the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 changed the rules to eliminate two popular Social Security claiming strategies for married couples: File-and-Suspend, and Restricted Application....So hence, anyone who has at least met the full retirement age of 66, and is not yet age 70, should be considering whether to submit a file-and-suspend request by April 29....As you can see, this strategy a moot point for anyone who has already claimed benefits, or who doesn’t plan to delay benefits....There's one primary difference between the old and the new rules: if you suspend under the new rules, your spouse will be ineligible to claim spousal benefits while your benefit is in suspense....If you qualify, and can suspend under the old rules, while your benefit is in suspense, spouses and other auxiliaries can still collect benefits based on your work record....
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
Ways to ApplyYou can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.If you do not wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want is not available online, you can:Call us at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****); orVisit your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.If you live outside the U.S. you can contact the nearest U.S. Social Security office, U.S. Embassy or consulate.
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit…I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.