Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

My wife died in 1994 at the age of 40. Will I receive any survivor

Customer Question

My wife died in 1994 at the age of 40. Will I receive any survivor benefits when I retire?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You will be eligible to receive survivor benefits at age 60 unless you are disabled and you can take the survivor benefits at age 50. She has to be eligible to receive social security through her work history. Having the option to take these benefits is one of the best planning opportunities you can have. You can elect to receive her benefit at age 60 and take it until mandatory retirement age and receive 8% credits per year from ages 66-70 for a total of a 32% increase. You can then take your increased benefit at that point. Also understand that the survivor benefit does not stack with your own retirement benefit, you can only take the higher of the two benefits or choose to take her benefit to allow yours to grow. To answer your question, yes if she was eligible to receive a SS through her work history. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?