LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My friend is a retired widow of about 66 and collecting on

Customer Question

My friend is a retired widow of about 66 and collecting on her husband's social security. She was told she will have to switch to her own social security when she turns 70 even though it is less than her deceased husband's. I am also a widow, 66, currently collecting on my husband's social security. Will I have to switch to my social security when I turn 70 even though it's a lot less than my deceased husbands? Thanks.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your concerns. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. You wrote: My friend is a retired widow of about 66 and collecting on her husband's social security. She was told she will have to switch to her own social security when she turns 70 even though it is less than her deceased husband's That simply is NOT correct. The law allows her to collect the larger of her own retirement benefit or the survivor benefit for the remainder of her life. She is NOT obligated to switch to her own retirement benefit if she does not want to. I am also a widow, 66, currently collecting on my husband's social security. Will I have to switch to my social security when I turn 70 even though it's a lot less than my deceased husbands? No, absolutely not. You too may continue to collect your survivor benefit for as long as you want. My own mom is in her 80's and still collecting a survivor benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug