lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

Yes My name is***** and I am receiving S.S.I. now I

Customer Question

Yes My name is***** and I am receiving S.S.I. now I make $733.00 a month. Well they have found out that I am bleeding internally from somewhere, and at this point they don't know where, on May 4, 2016, I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy down and have a scope ran down my throat. My question is if they can not find out where I am bleeding from, will my S.S.I go up, with this new physcial problem?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
Maximum Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payment amounts increase with the cost-of-living increases that apply to Social Security benefits. This year there is no COLA, so there will be no increase in SSI payment amounts in 2016. The monthly maximum Federal amounts for 2016 are $733 for an eligible individual and $1,100 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse.Thus - if you're already receiving the maximum amount $733 per month - there is NO additional increase.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so with a new physcial problem I will not receive an increase?
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
There is no increase as you are already receiving the MAXIMUM amount.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 6 months ago.
You might apply for additional need based benefits if you have out-of-pocket medical expenses.For instance - you might have larger amount for Food Stamps, housing assistance, etc..But for Supplemental Security Income - $733 is the maximum you may receive..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.