Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband passed away when my daughter was 13, so she has

Customer Question

My husband passed away when my daughter was 13, so she has been receiving benefits. She turned 18 in January and will be graduating in May.
I was told that if she will be attending college, she can continue to receive benefits. Is this correct, and if so, what do we need to do?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
That's correct. Here's what you'll need to do:...You must complete page 2 of form SSA-1372-BK, Student's Statement Regarding School Attendance; have a school official certify on page 3 the information you provide; leave pages 4 and 5, Notice of Cessation of Full-Time School Attendance, with the school official; and return the completed and certified pages 2 and 3 to your local Social Security office by mail or in person....Social Security generally considers a student to be in full-time attendance if he or she:Attends an elementary or secondary level school, as determined by the law of the State or other jurisdiction in which the school is located;Is enrolled in a day or evening non-correspondence course at least 13 weeks in duration;Is scheduled to attend at the rate of at least 20 hours weekly; andCarries a subject load considered full-time for day students under the school's standards and practices.
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit I know it takes an extra step, but JustAnswer won’t credit us for the work until you rate....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.