emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Friends who believe they are more knowledgeable about Social

Customer Question

Friends who believe they are more knowledgeable about Social Security than I am (well that would be almost everyone) tell me there is a SS loophole closing April 30, 2016 that could really help me. I am 70, long time divorced, and have been collecting my SS since I was 62. Am I about to miss something beneficial to me? Please respond in old fashion plain english. Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.Yes, social security administration is changing or should I say eliminating some of the programs, but those changes would not affect you if you are 70. Those changes are related to spousal benefits (for spouses 62+) and to "file and suspend" option. (file for your benefits at 65 and suspend until 70 to allow your spouse collect spousal benefits).Here are the changes in more details, including some tables who will and who will not be affected by it: http://www.fa-mag.com/news/what-the-2016-social-security-changes-mean-25323.html?section=47
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.