lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am filing social security benefit or benefits due to

Customer Question

I am filing for a social security benefit or benefits due to my husband at his time of death and they are asking for a death certificate, which I have, and a marriage certificate which I cannot find and I don't know what to do about the marriage certificate. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
You do need the marriage certificate to proof your eligibility as a surviving spouse.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.
You can obtain a certified copy of a marriage certificate from the county clerk's office in the county where your marriage was registered.See here other documents that may be used to proof your marriage doe SSA purposeshttps://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200305020.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.