Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I was recently notified by my ex wife family that she passed

Customer Question

I was recently notified by my ex wife family that she passed away. They told me that iam entitled to SSA benefits even though we were divorced and she remarried. Is that true, i know they did not like her second husband.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. It is true if you were married at least 10 years and did not remarry before age 60 or if you remarried before age 60 then if you are currently not married. Your ex also had to be eligible to receive a SS benefit by their work history. You can start this benefit at age 60 (with the early retirement penalty) and would receive 100% of your exes benefit if you start at full retirement age. It does not matter if she remarried and her other husband can apply for benefits as well. Here is the link on how to apply (it cannot be done online): Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?