LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Can I get my ex husband ss we were married 1966 1972?

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good morning,I'm Doug, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please. 1. You have 2 years for your marriage. Are you trying to say that you were married from 1966 to 1972?2. Are you presently remarried?3. Were you married to anyone longer than 10 years?Doug
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. yes
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Hi Brenda, Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, for a couple of reasons you will not be eligible to make an ex-spouse social security claim. Let me explain. Social security regulations require that for a person to file for an ex-spouse retirement benefit claim that person must have been married to the other person for at least 10 years and that at the time of making the ex-spouse benefit claim that the person is not remarried. I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug