Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I was told theres a benefit that expires April 29, 2016. What

Customer Question

i was told theres a benefit that expires April 29, 2016. What is this please?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Did you pay to attend this SS information meeting?
OK, I haven't heard back from you, but I will be leaving for a meeting shortly and don't want you to not have your answer when you return. First, there is no benefit that expires on 4/29. Rather, what happens at the end of April is that anyone who wishes to and is eligible to suspend his benefits, can still do so, but it will now have the effect of suspending ALL benefits stemming from that worker's work record - i.e. spousal benefits, etc. With regard to your post:"I attended a SS information meeting. We were told that theres money available for the spouse (me age 63) while my husband (age 67) continues to work until he's 70. We have been married 43 years, and durning that time I Nancy have only worked an accumulative amount of about 10 years. I am not employed now. We were told that this money was only available until april 29 2016. what is this and how do we sign up for ot.------- If you want to take a restricted spousal application, which you can only due at your FRA (66+), or file for a reduced retirement now, your husband has to have filed for his own benefits. If your husband wishes for you to be able to collect a spousal benefit if you are eligible for one now, he will have to file for his own benefit. But, let's say he doesn't want to collect now because he wants his benefit to grow to age 70 - then IF he files before end of April, he can suspend it at the same time, thereby NOT collecting his own but triggering your right to file for a spousal benefit. You can choose, then, to file for a spousal IF you are eligible, (i.e. if your spousal is bigger than any benefit on your own record), or to wait and file for spousal later, when it will be a full 50% of his benefit amount (when you are at your FRA). If your husband doesn't suspend before end of April, but did it later, it would also suspend your spousal benefit, if any - that is what is happening end of April - all suspensions become blanket suspension on all dependents. To be on the safe side in case you will be wanting to get a spousal and are eligible for same, your husband may wish to file and suspend now, so that at some time in the future, you can file for any eligible spousal benefit.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!