eacfp, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled Agent

I am 70 yrs old and have social security benefits cut 1/3 by

Customer Question

I am 70 yrs old and have social security benefits cut 1/3 by windfall elimination act due to a state retirement. Also, I want to file for benefits. What are the benefits we must file for before April 30, 2016 that Congress is projected to take away. How do I file for these benefits before April 30,2016.
My husband is on social security also and we both need to file to protect us from cuts and maximize our social security benefits.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  eacfp replied 6 months ago.
The deadline applies to workers who are at least age 66 who file for benefits but suspend collecting them until age 70. Since you are already age 70 and both you and your spouse are collecting benefits, this strategy and deadline do not affect you. The link below provides a detailed explanation.